Pension entitlement for a widow

I am recently widowed and have been looking at your guides on pensions for women. I know there allowances available to me such as widow's pension and bereavement payment but who do I contact to find out if I am eligible?

Thanks

CashQuestions Editor
    I am sorry to hear of your loss.

You can get more information about bereavement payments here

In brief: You can get Bereavement allowance only if all the following apply

* you're a widow, widower or surviving civil partner aged 45 or over when your husband, wife or civil partner died
    * you're not bringing up children
    * you're under State Pension age (currently 60 for women and 65 for men)
    * your late husband, wife or civil partner paid National Insurance contributions (NICs), or they died as a result of an industrial accident or disease

You can get a tax-free Bereavement Payment only if you were under State Pension age (60 for women and 65 for men) when your partner died
    or

your husband, wife or civil partner was not entitled to a full state retirement pension when they died.

There is no widow's pension as such any more.

Widowed parents can get a Widowed Parent's Allowance if they are receiving Child Benefit or pregnant. They may be able to get some additional state pension as part of their late husband’s, wife’s or civil partner’s State Pension if they have dependent children.

Additional state pension

If before you were widowed you received your own pension based on your own NI contributions, this will continue. If you are over retirement age and received less than the state pension in your own right (perhaps you received a couple's pension based on your husband's contributions) you will now receive a single person's state pension based on your husband's contributions.

In addition, if your late husband reached state pension age before 6 October 2002, you will receive up to 100% of their SERPS (additional state pension) now they have died

If your late husband had not reached State Pension age before 6 October 2002, you may receive between 50% and 90% of his SERPS pension. The exact amount will depend on when your husband was due to reach State Pension age.

You can get more information here

You could also call in at your local social security office to get more information. I hope this helps. The leaflet above also gives telephone numbers for support groups for widowed people, which may be of help. I do wish you all the best at this difficult time.

Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Excellent reply. :nod::thumb: